- Experience superior graphics with DirectX 11.2 high-performance API
- Enjoy compatibility with all your Windows 7 games and apps plus Windows 8.1 reliability
- Pin all your favorite games to your taskbar and Start screen
- Bypass the Start screen and boot straight to your desktop
Victorious, reliable performance.
Rich, immersive gameplay
Intense gaming can tax your graphics card. The new GPU preemption model featured in Windows 8.1 ensures high-priority graphics run smoothly.
Pass the crash test
Enjoy more seamless play and faster recovery from screen freezes thanks to TDR improvements that expedite graphics timeout detection.
Give malware the boot
For more robust OS performance, Windows 8.1 features Secure Boot, preventing unauthorized operating systems and software from loading.
Defend the base
Protect your software with the enhanced security features of Windows Defender.
Be a speed demon.
Windows 8.1 uses less memory with optimizations that enable extra resource efficiency. Plus, it features improved battery life and reduces system startup times for an overall increase in speed. With new multiphase resume capability, you can split the work of rebooting and get back to your game play faster.
Get in the game.
Unleash your graphics
Windows 8.1 offers the DirectX 11.2 high-performance API. See faster response time and experience smoother, richer and more gorgeous game play than ever.
Display Your Way
Crank your high-DPI display into high gear. DPI Scaling provides a uniform experience for multi-display systems and the ability to choose to have the Start screen on one monitor and the desktop on the others.
Play the games others can’t
Developers are releasing titles exclusively on Windows 8.1, plus allowing early access to extreme games like “Halo: Spartan Assault.” And of course, all your favorites that run on Windows 7 are fully compatible.
Play your way.
Now it’s even easier to personalize your system with Windows 8.1. Change your Start screen wallpaper to whatever you want. Pin games to your Start screen for quick access, and display your achievements on your live tiles to show off to your friends. Plus with four different tile sizes, you can customize your display to fit more games on it.
With the new Task Manager, you have a single place to go for all the mission-critical info about your system, users, apps running and resources being used. Now it’s all presented in a new, more touchable format that’s even more organized and easier to understand, while still providing all of the information you need to stay in control.
Start fast. Finish strong.
Bypass the Windows 8 Start screen and game the same way as previous Windows versions. Plus, with the Start button added back to the toolbar, you’ll have quick access to your programs, control panel and task manager.
Microsoft has listened to your feedback and offered lightning-quick fixes specifically for gamers. Plus, receive outstanding help and support from Microsoft for your Windows 8.1-based Alienware system.
Get to know Windows.
There are new ways to navigate Windows. Many PCs now have touch capabilities, but you can also use the mouse and keyboard you're familiar with. We'll teach you the basics to help you get started.
For faster gaming, you can go straight to desktop mode when you start. Here's how:
- While in desktop mode, using your mouse, right-click on the taskbar and select properties. (If you have a touch screen, press the Windows Logo for several seconds). This will open the “Taskbar and Navigation Properties” dialog box.
- Select the “Navigation” tab.
- Under the Start Screen section, select “Go to desktop instead of start when I sign in.”
- Select “Apply.”
Zoom in. Game on.
Touch the screen or an item with two or more fingers, and then move your fingers toward each other (pinch) or away from each other (stretch). This will bring items on the screen closer or zoom out so you can see more.
On start, click the zoom icon in the lower right corner of your screen or press Ctrl while you rotate the wheel button on your mouse.
Ready to level up?
Windows 8.1 is a free operating system update that offers new ways to personalize your PC with great new apps and services. Learn how to upgrade in three easy steps. Visit our support page for more detailed instructions on how to upgrade your Windows 8 system to Windows 8.1. Driver updates may also be required.
1. Open the Windows Store and select the “Update to Windows 8.1” tile. If a notification to “Update to Windows 8.1” is displayed, you can select the “Go to the Store” button.
2. From the Windows 8.1 product page, select “Download.” The download and installation of Windows 8.1 may take up to 1-2 hours, but you can continue using your PC while downloading. If asked to take any actions, follow the on-screen instructions.
3. When prompted to reboot your PC, select the “Restart now” button or wait for Windows to automatically restart. After Windows restarts, follow any on-screen instructions, and then sign-in to Windows 8.1.
Stay in the game.
We'll support you.
Our services are here to help you with your software and hardware needs throughout the life of your products so you can focus on doing more with your digital life. We can assist in setting up your new computer and connected devices, or work with you to resolve technology issues that may arise. Our support team can also help you set up your free Windows 8.1 update, from backup and installation to customization. It’s easy to contact us around the clock via phone, email or chat.
Premium Phone Support
Our Premium Phone Support offers 24x7 advanced phone support for hardware and software issues (including support for 3rd party software). You can count on us for a great experience and rapid support for your Alienware laptops and desktops.